Sunday, February 27, 2011

Baking


I had the morning to myself yesterday as hubby had to go up north to collect Little T from his extended holiday with Grandparents. Anyway after I had caught up with the cleaning, sorting the livestock and a bit of gardening, I had the urge to try a new scone recipe that I'd had in a cafe last week, apple scones.
        I just used a rich scone recipe but added diced apple instead of raisins, and they turned out really well. 
What do you think?


If you want to have a go at making them here is the recipe:  
                                     
                                                     Apple Scones.

8oz(225g) self raising flour
pinch salt
2oz(50g) margarine
1oz(25g) caster sugar
1 egg beaten with milk to make 1/4pt(150ml) liquid
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced

Heat oven to 220c and grease a baking tray.
Mix flour and salt and rub in margarine, then stir in sugar and apple.
Add the egg mix, but keep a little for glazing tops.
Mix it all together.( I needed to add more flour at this stage as it was quite sticky.) Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead gently. I didn't roll it out but instead just patted it into shape then cut out rounds and placed them on the tray.
Brush the tops with the egg mix and bake for about 10 mins.

Give them a go, they are really easy and they taste delicious.

2 comments: